Healthy foods are not just good for weight loss. Some common foods found in your pantry can actually work as home remedies that heal common illnesses. For minor health problems, you can turn to these home remedies. Here are 5 DIY home remedies for you:
* Salt water for a sore throat: Your mother or grandmother were not wrong when they suggested you gargle with salt water if you have a cough and sore throat. Salt acts as an anti-inflammatory agent. As it passes through the membranes in the throat, it clears the passage and makes it difficult for harmful bacteria to survive.
* Lavender oil for insomnia: Lavender oil works on the receptors in the central nervous system and can relieve insomnia and stress levels. It acts as an antidepressant as well.
Turmeric contains curcumin chemical compound which has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory abilities. (Unsplash)
* Turmeric for joint pain: Turmeric has anti-inflammatory properties and can modify the immune system response as well as prevent joint inflammation. Turmeric contains curcumin chemical compound which has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory abilities. It contains antioxidants and can help prevent infections as well.
* Cucumbers for puffy eyes: You have seen it in movies, but does it actually work? Turns out, cucumbers and tea bags do indeed reduce puffiness in the eyes. Cucumbers contain a high water content, and the coolness causes blood vessels to constrict reducing inflammation.
* Apples reduce heartburn: Apples contain the soluble fibre pectin, which absorbs stomach acid and reduces heartburn. It contains malic and tartaric acid that can relieve the acidity caused by most juices that flow up from your stomach.